This was something somewhat different for me since my gore looks usually are more “creative”, as in non typical injuries that would only happen in a movie or a really severe accident.
It was meant to be a burnt/blistered face at first, but ended up in more of a bruised, swollen, beat up injury. I think this turned out very realistic and I am proud of the finished look.
To make this beautiful creation, I used FX gelatin to build up the swolen-ness of the face. I used it over the mouth and nose as well which I really think sold the look. I picked at the gelatin to create little holes and dents that I later painted in and filled with coagulated blood.
This was my first attempt at body painting. Although this was originally inspired by a youtube tutorial, I switched it up a bit and did my own twist on this look. I used water activated body paints for the first time with this and learnt that similar to traditional painting, the more water used dilutes the colour pigmentation and less gives a richer payoff of colour.
This is meant to be a contrast of beauty and gore, as both sides of my face show. I used a lot of shading in the deeper parts of the gore side to add more dimension and pop to the look so it could look somewhat three dimensional in a 2d photo. I think doing this gave me a better understanding on contrasting shadows therefore helping me to enhance my craft. For this I used cotton balls saturated in liquid latex to create the bone structure and depth in my face. I used fake nails dipped in blood for the teeth. I painted it all with alcohol activated and water paints because they’re both very liquidous and seep into the cotton.
This look was inspired by a video tutorial I found online and followed. It was the first time I’d tried the “covering your eye” method and although I completely lost any depth perception I previously had and walked into a few walls, the final result definitely payed off. I learnt a few new techniques such as how to properly anchor things with a bit of weight onto my face so they stick and don’t fall off, as well as completely covering my eye safely. To create the eye, I sculpted several cotton balls with liquid latex and adhered a cotton pad over my eye to cover it.
I did this SFX makeup look inspired from something I saw on a television show and was absolutely fascinated by. The look is meant to replicate an exploded face, and although it looks more like a burn, I’m still very glad on how it turned out. For this, I used cotton balls and latex as well as gelatin to create a multi-dimensional and structured look.